If you are planning on going through a tummy tuck, you need to consider recovery, which depends on a wide range of factors such as body weight, health, and age. The type of tummy tuck you decide to have also had a major role to play.
You may naturally wish to return to normal life post-surgery, but please give your body enough time to heal fully. Stay in the hospital for a couple of hours or overnight if the surgeon deems it necessary.
Once you return home, the actual recovery starts. Here is all that you need to know.
Timeline for the Recovery
The experts offering tummy tuck, Botox, and a wide range of other surgical procedures said you must figure out a definite period for the recovery. Doing so will give you substantial time to heal and take a break from a few aspects of life.
After a tummy tuck, your drains will be left for some days. You have to learn how to care for and empty the drains. While the drains are still there, you must take an anticoagulant and antibiotic.
Be ready to wear an abdominal binder for at least six weeks. This prevents fluid retention and provides necessary support to the abdomen.
Although the recovery period is much shorter for mini tummy tucks, you must still avoid rigorous exercises. Do not hit the gym, go for a run, or lift heavy objects.
Your surgeon will inform you about how exactly to recover while at home. He/she will specify the ways to:
- Care for the drain tubes and incisions.
- Avoid infections.
- Wear the pressure garment.
You also have to pay proper attention to your diet and sleep schedule. You can shower a day or two after the drain tubes are extracted. You can opt for a sponge bath until then. Stay away from all sorts of nicotine. Smoking can only trigger complications.
According to the professionals offering abdominoplasty, you have to strictly adhere to certain essential guidelines. Major ones among the lot include:
- Sleep on an incliner. Keep the upper portion of your body raised and bend the knees slightly to prevent inflammation. You may prop a few pillows beneath your knees to avoid inflicting pressure on the abdomen.
- While you cannot always work out, you must not lie in bed. Please move a little after the surgery to enhance blood circulation. This helps in healing and reduces the chances of blood clotting in the legs.
- You need to drink as much water as possible. Water can flush out toxins from the body and decrease swelling. Eat healthy too. Include green vegetables and fresh fruits in your diet.
There is so much to think about when it comes to recovering from a tummy tuck, but all of it is fortunately manageable and attainable. You have to plan for even the minute aspects of the recovery procedure.
Dr. Azra Ashraf, a board-certified plastic surgeon, is a reputed and reliable name for getting abdominoplasty. She has years of experience in offering outstanding results to her clients with precision in her award-winning facility – Panache Plastic Surgery. Get your appointment today with the expert and get a slim-toned abdomen.