Are you tired of looking tired? Do you have droopy or sagging eyelids that make you appear older than you feel? Blepharoplasty, also known as eyelid surgery, maybe the solution you’ve been seeking.
At Panache Plastic Surgery, our board-certified surgeon, Dr. Azra Ashraf, has years of experience performing blepharoplasty and helping patients achieve a more youthful, refreshed appearance. In this blog, we’ll explore what blepharoplasty is, the benefits and risks of the procedure, and what to expect during and after the surgery.
What is Blepharoplasty?
Blepharoplasty is a surgical procedure that involves removing excess skin, fat, and muscle from the upper and/or lower eyelids. The procedure can address a range of issues, including:
- Droopy or sagging eyelids
- Puffy bags under the eyes
- Excess skin that interferes with vision
- Fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes
Blepharoplasty can be performed on either the upper or lower eyelids or both, depending on the patient’s needs and goals.
Benefits of Blepharoplasty
Blepharoplasty can have a range of benefits, both cosmetic and functional. Some of the most common benefits of the procedure include the following:
- A more youthful, refreshed appearance
- Improved vision (in cases where excess skin is interfering with vision)
- Increased self-confidence and self-esteem
- A reduction in fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes
- A more symmetrical or balanced appearance
Risks and Complications
Like any surgical procedure, blepharoplasty carries some risks and potential complications. Some of the most common risks include:
- Dry eyes
- Temporary or permanent vision changes
- Numbness or tingling around the eyes
Discussing these risks with your surgeon before undergoing the procedure is important. While serious complications are rare, it’s important to be fully informed and prepared for any potential outcomes.
The Blepharoplasty Procedure
Blepharoplasty is typically performed under local anesthesia with sedation, though general anesthesia may be used in some cases. The procedure generally takes 1-3 hours, depending on the extent of the surgery. Here’s what you can expect during the procedure:
- Incisions: Your surgeon will make incisions along the natural creases of your eyelids, which will help to conceal any scarring.
- Removal of Excess Tissue: Your surgeon will remove excess skin, fat, and/or muscle from the eyelids, as needed.
- Closure: Your surgeon will close the incisions with fine sutures.
Recovery and Aftercare
After the procedure, you’ll need to take some time to rest and recover. Here are some tips for a smooth recovery:
- Cold compresses can help to reduce swelling and bruising.
- Avoid strenuous activity for at least a week after the surgery.
- Keep your head elevated while sleeping to reduce swelling.
- Avoid rubbing or touching your eyes for several weeks after the surgery.
- Follow your surgeon’s post-operative instructions carefully.
Most patients are able to return to work and other normal activities within a week or two of the surgery. However, the final results can take several months to fully develop.
Blepharoplasty can be a highly effective way to rejuvenate your eyes and enhance your overall appearance. At Panache Plastic Surgery, we are committed to helping our patients achieve their aesthetic goals through safe and effective surgical procedures. If you are considering blepharoplasty, we encourage you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Azra Ashraf to discuss your options.
Get Your Appointment!
Don’t wait any longer to achieve the refreshed, youthful appearance you’ve been dreaming of. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Azra Ashraf at Panache Plastic Surgery to learn more about blepharoplasty and whether it’s the right choice for you. Contact us today to book your appointment and take the first step towards a more confident, rejuvenated you.